Using deal custom fields helps you and your team better understand deals in your pipeline. In addition, you can include deal-specific information in your outgoing emails.
You must be an admin or have permission to create and access deal custom fields.
How to create a field group
Field groups are created on the Manage Fields page in your account. Each custom field you create needs to belong to a field group.
Your account comes with one default field group: General Details. All standard deal fields are housed here.
If you have custom fields that don’t belong under “General Details,” you can create your own custom field groups. Doing so lets you group similar custom fields together, making it easy to find relevant information.
With field groups you can:
- Select which group a custom field should belong to when creating a field from the Manage
- Fields page or a deal record
- Drag and drop a custom field from one group to another
- Use the Bulk Actions dropdown on the Manage Fields page to delete selected fields, create a new field group from selected fields, or move the selected fields to a different field group
Note that standard deal fields cannot be moved to a custom field group. These will remain under “General Details.”
How to create a custom deal field
You can create an unlimited number of custom fields and organize them by field group. These fields can be created from the “Manage Fields” page and any deal record.
Once a custom deal field is created, it will be located:
- On the Manage fields > Deals page
- On all deals on all pipelines
In addition, you can use custom deal fields in the following areas:
- In the floating segment builder
- On the “Add a Personalization” modal for campaigns and automation emails
- Conditional content
- Automation “Field changes” trigger
- Automation CRM actions
Update a custom deal field value
Custom deal field values are updated manually from the deal record or with the “Update custom field” automation action.
Edit or delete a custom deal field
You can edit and delete a custom deal field at any time. These actions are completed on the Manage Fields page.
Edit a custom field
Editing options available for custom fields include:
- Field name
- Personalization tag (used in outgoing emails to show field information specific to the contact)
- Answer options (list box, dropdown, checkbox, radio button field types)
- Default value (will appear in outgoing emails if a contact does not have a value for the field)
Delete a custom field
Deleting a field will also permanently delete any data contained in this field for your deals. The action cannot be undone.
Deal field personalization tags
Personalization tags are used to insert contact-, account-, or deal-specific information into communications.
These tags are automatically generated for all standard deal fields and all custom deal fields you create.
All deal field personalization tags will be prefixed with “Deal_” to differentiate them from contact and account field personalization tags.
To locate these tags:
- Click “Lists” on the left menu.
- Click the “Manage Fields” option.
- Click the “Deals” tab.
Using custom deal fields
Custom deal fields can be used for more than just storing information about your deals. For example, you can:
- Use custom deal fields in the segment builder
All custom deal fields you create will be available in the segment builder. You can use this condition to create list segments for email campaigns, “If/Else” forks in automations, set up “Split test” automations, update a deal or contact score, create Goal actions in automations, and more.
- Update custom deal field values in an automation
You can use the “Update custom field” action in an automation to update the value of a custom deal field. With this action, you can select which custom deal field to update and either enter a new value, copy the data from an existing contact field, or clear the existing value of the custom deal field.
- Filter pipelines by custom deal fields
You can filter deals in your pipeline by both custom deal fields and deal details. Doing so will help you quickly find specific deals.
- Trigger an automation to run when a deal field changes
You can use the “Field Changes” trigger to start an automation whenever a custom deal field changes.
- Personalize communications
Increase engagement with your campaigns and automation emails with personalization tags. When a personalization tag is used in a campaign or automation email, the value of that tag will automatically be inserted once the communication is sent to a contact. When the contact opens the communication, they will see the value for that tag and not the tag itself.
- Use deal fields with conditional content
Select which content block contacts should see in an automation email or email campaign with conditional content.